PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2008, 15:13
bristowburnout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grrr outatrack - management apologist

Well outatrack is obviously a fine apologist for management and seems a bit confused. Let's see, at one moment he's saying, "The deal is simple, you don't like it, move on", the next, "everytime something doesn't conform to their imperialistic way of thinking, they immediately blame the management and p**s off.". So which way do you want it? It seems you are a proponent of the good ole Bob Suggs management school with his well known quote "I can get all the pilots I need out of the gutters on Bourbon street,"

Actually it seems to me that pilots usually get jobs one of 3 ways. Sometimes they send out trawling letters (rather like his post) because they're looking to see if there's a better deal out there (the usual case in Nigeria), sometimes they're contacted by friends because managers in their company have said they're looking for crews and asked if anyone can recommend a good guy who might be interested and sometimes it's in response to an advertisement or via an agency. None of the pilots I met in Nigeria was unemployed at the time he applied.

If every time someone got p*ssed off he moved on there'd be chaos and that seems a pretty irresponsible approach, but rather typical of the response you get from some of the crappier managers in this industry . Maybe things were going okay before, but a new manager is brought in with a confrontational, aggressive, dictatorial management style and starts changing things and firing people with no consultation. Do you just expect people to do what you advocate, like a dog which has been kicked, lie down, roll over and wait for its tummy to be tickled . If the new manager is the one who has created the 'issues' and made it quite plain to everybody that nothing he has decided is open for discussion, what do you expect people to do? What I find sad is that people often feel forced to post on here because they're afraid that if they express their opinions honestly and openly they'll be fired or suffer some kind of disciplinary action. The days of draconian dictators forcing their will on the majority with no discussion should be behind us, but management apologists like you and Aviator609 would like to hold us back in the dark ages. You'd rather just go around praising everything which has done in the hopes of advancement and try and stop anyone else with a different opinion from saying anything, or trying to trash it by calling it whining or whinging. You'd rather try and trash SASless's opinions with pathetic references to the CIA and Guantanamo Bay - just the sort of tactic employed by unenlightened managers who we have had to suffer for far too long in this industry . It's the sort of approach which means that industrial relations here are still in the 16th century, rather than in much of Europe where legislation and acceptance of unions have meant that for the first time helicopter pilots are getting good conditions and able to work for the betterment of their companies by having an open discussion forum with management to make everything work for both sides. I tried expressing my approach to management reasonably, face to face and not from the anonymity of this forum, or the impersonality of electronic mail only to be openly threatened (behind the closed doors of a manager's office. You seem to me to be typical of the people with whom I was trying to carry out a reasoned discussion