PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair incident Ciampino.
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2008, 08:41
captplaystation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's always good to be on the ball, but "maybe" PF was a little trigger happy?
The Capt (if indeed he took over as stated) appears to have made the right call . Perhaps taking account of the "Alfred Hitchcock" picture out the windshield he realised that one engine failure may not be the complete problem. Sometimes it is best to pause a nano-second rather than reacting instinctively. If indeed the reason for gear collapse will turn out to have been due to gear not down & locked ,as it was still sequencing down ,this slightly pre-emptive call will have been unfortunate. Having said that, if the Capt overided the F/O's decision & said " No , Land" he is also unlikely to have selected gear up. Quite important I think ,exactly the sequence of events.
A big difference is possible for Gear position & security whether it was "GO-AROUND FLAP15" "NO, I HAVE CONTROL LAND" as suggested by Greaseball Snr ,or whether it was "GO-AROUND FLAP15 "(Capt in agreement so possibly followed by Gear up ?) followed by "Woa there goes the other one I have control" CVR/FDR will answer that one easily enough even if the crew ,quite understandably ,may have slightly unclear recollections.
Normally in the event of a gear collapse Ryanair Cabin Crew are trained to consider initiating the evacuation in the absence of any command from the flight-deck. Given the distinct possibility of fuel leakage etc I would be surprised if the pilots did not wish to evacuate if the gear collapsed on landing
or during the landing roll ( unlike Limoges where an evacuation was commanded with perhaps an absence of immediate danger ) as that would be concurrent with the thinking encouraged in the training scenario at the moment. This perhaps lends a little credence to the rumour that the collapse occured after the aircraft had been stopped. Can't really imagine anyone planning a nice orderly evacuation via the stairs if they had just man-handled the aircraft along the R/W @I40KTS with one gear collapsed.
Assuming there are no bogey-men in the situation that none of us has envisaged this appears to have been one Damn good save.

Last edited by captplaystation; 11th Nov 2008 at 08:54.