PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Germany tales of yore
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2008, 10:41
Wasser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The throng gathered outside the hangar at Goose Bay as Baggers led the 1st flypast. As the formed up for a 2nd flypast our view was obscured by another hangar. The first we knew that something was wrong was when Bagger’s a/c flew past alone. SD’s a/c was then seen veering to the north, with flames coming out the back. SD ejects and the a/c slowly rolls on its back and dives into the ground.

Total silence from the crowd as we tried to absorb what we’d just seen. First words uttered was by a nearby Canadian bowser driver who shouted “Jezz, you guys had better do something, you’ve just lost an a/c”. “Yes we know” someone said quietly.

Things got a bit hectic after that , but it probably took about another 10mins for news to filter through that we’d lost a 2nd a/c flown by BR (our view of the collision having been obscured by the hangar). Thankfully, soon after, news came through that both pilots were safe.

Having worked on both a/c during the turnround, it was with some relief later that day that BR and SD both said their a/c were serviceable prior to the collision. Thoughts like “did I secure the PMD properly or did it fall out onto the stick” etc had been racing through both mine, and fellow Wasser’s, minds.

As I remember, SD suffered a sprained/broken? arm when he landed in trees and spent the rest of the detachment as “duty driver”. BR suffered from hyperthermia and spent most of the detachment in hospital.

It’s with thanks to these two pilots that, despite having worked on both a/c prior to flight, I never had to give evidence at the subsequent BOI.

Despite a big reward from Martin Baker, I don’t think the locals ever found either seat in the bog. Also, I never found out if the MOD’s import licence for “Sepecat Jaguar aircraft x 2” was ever approved by the Canadian government.