PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gulf Air Developments
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2008, 10:15
shazar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, there were some questions and I am ready to put answers.

We are talking about two transition periods in regard to Gulf Air. Old problems are legacy of old managements during period of four shareholders; (history; passé compassé), not current one, not pilots, not cabin crews. Etc. In a nutshell, no one except old managements.

Once last shareholder (Oman) withdrew, positive changes started to surface up:

·Assigning forensic auditors to comb financial books and arrest thieves; GF has never been able to bring any official under accountability except now because of corruption and nepotism. This was not only in Bahrain, but even extended to external offices outside Bahrain such as Saudi Arabia.

·Ongoing re-engineering flight networks; more and more people are talking about improvement in punctuality and new destinations are planned, couple were launched lately if I am not mistaken.

·Buying new planes; all past contracts and bank loans arrangements reached deadlock because of lack of commitments from other shareholders; current plans approved and signed off.

·HR system in place; GF has never have had performance management system, despite many people are hot happy with it; like everywhere. Even new legal Bahraini counsel being hired was dismissed subsequently; the case is performance, not nationality! Even Mr Dose, previous CEO was dismissed for many observations inclusive of washing dirty linen in publics about redundancy and losses, thus damaging corporate reputation.

Complaints about compensation and politics spread are everywhere and across many sectors.

It is clear there are two opposite mirrors; one started to shine and materialise, while the old one was gray and getting worse!

Indeed, Gulf Air did not make any profit this year and I recall a posting on this forum late July 2008 about the losses. Please read this link for the causes http://www.alwasatnews.com/Today/Issue-2207/loc/--/788762.aspx. The speaker is the highest authority of GF and owner, and annual reports of Mumtalakat could confirm.

It would simplistic to think that Bahrain could resolve GF millions dollar losses and problems inherited from old managements over many years would be resolved in one year. Reforms have cost as much as in case of losses, it is not starting from scratch and forgetting the past. This is not a love story. I repeat what I said before on this forum, I don’t think Bahrain government wants to spend public money without getting revenues, especially that GF success or failure has direct impact to other economies in the Country. For investors to come, the Country must have a good airline. I personally do not think GF is falling part when there are order for planes, new destinations are open, ongoing recruitment, ..etc

I can understand why some people behave defensively to MEA and other airlines and that is not a shame, I find it an honour to have similar attitude towards my national airline too. That does not cause me any embarrassment.

I am more cautious, addressing facts and figures is not like being picky on stereotypes and generalising up to 95%! I have showed the insulting comments to a British Chartered HR colleague here affirming my point of view, and she said; ‘this is racist since no ground or figure affirming its accuracy, it can be generalised that service is behind, but not stating figure to highest extreme such as in statistics and targetting certain gender or nationality.Qouting nationaity and gender in the context and contrast made are clear racism. Even legally, this is classified as refutable statement’