PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Snaith Memorial Garden
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2008, 22:45
exscribbler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RAF Snaith Memorial Garden

Mrs Ex and I were out and about last Friday when we happened upon the former RAF Snaith. OK, it wasn't that much of an accident as I've just been reading Yorkshire Airfields in the Second World War by Patrick Otter but neither of us were prepared for the simple dignity of the garden in memory of 51 and 150 Squadrons. My photographs do not do it justice.

Mike and Sid were hard at it, preparing the garden for the Remembrance Day Parade with 51 Squadron but they were happy enough to break off to tell us all about the project.

So, if you're in the area, go and have a look; you'll be impressed, I'm sure. Don't forget the tissues - I'm sure it was the wind that made my eyes water...

Co-ords are 53 40' 31.74"N; 01 04' 50.43"W. No postcode, I fear, but if you can find Pollington village, you're almost there.

Incidentally, I was 3 days old when LW497 with Squadron Leader Eno and his crew FTR from Stuttgart. Sadly his (second?) DSO was a little late:

ENO, S/L Lloyd Higgs (40096) - Distinguished Service Order - No.51 Squadron - awarded as per London Gazette dated 31 March 1944. DHist cards refer to Air Ministrt Bulletin 13408/AL.785.

This officer has completed many sorties on his second tour of operations and his continued good work has won great praise. In recent operations Squadron Leader Eno has attacked many targets including Dusseldorf, Stuttgart, Magdeburg and Berlin. He has at all times displayed great courage and determination and his example has impressed all. In addition to his work in the air, Squadron Leader Eno has rendered valuable service in the training of other members of the squadron.

Last edited by exscribbler; 27th Oct 2008 at 23:30.