PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - L@ser attacks on Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2008, 18:26
awblain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cures for the l@zer epidemic

It sounds like arrivals over British urban areas are seeing this more and more often. Even if it is simply a larger reporting fraction, the consequences for safety are very significant. I am sure the constabulary are up to their ears, but I can think of several routes for them to get a result in finding the perpetrators. The kind of idiot that would do this must be up to all manner of other stuff that makes their neighbours' lives miserable, and getting them off the streets must be a good thing.

Location of a l@zer at night is difficult without images. Unless you see the beam and can collar the user on the spot.

1) Photos from the attacked aircraft would be useful, but I don't think it's realistic to expect a crew to grab a picture of the l@zer when they have plenty of normal work to do. Also, looking straight down the beam would not give as much position information as seeing it from the side. Nevertheless, a simple wide-angle infinite-focus camera with a multi-frame shooting mode (phone?) in the cockpit could probably give the police a good idea where to look.

2) CCTV cameras are aimed all over high streets. Maybe PC Big Brother could spare a few wide angle cameras to point up and around approach paths, to record the light show from different positions. If a l@ser's bright enough to dazzle, then it should be seen off-axis in scattered light. Comparing the images from a few cameras should get a 10-100-m accurate launch position.

Dedicated wide-angle video monitoring of the approach path to city airports from a few cameras spread out along 4-5 miles could give this kind of information too.

3) Or arm PCs with cameras and ask them to take pictures of beams they see, and note position and time. Even appeals to the public to snap beams with their phones, and record where and when, might help.

Like (2) this would give forensic evidence, not real time detection, but in some cases the police officer could get lucky and see or find the laser start point.

Of course, in all these cases, someone's got to do the geometry to extract the evidence.

4) As the Teeside case shows, a police helicopter, with excellent cameras is probably the best way to home in on the perpetrator. Given the potential danger of dazzling l@sers, along with a shared interest in flight safety, police helicopter crews would hopefully be willing to break off whatever they're doing to help, and be the fastest and most skilled way to gather prompt evidence and get convictions.

I presume operators groups and BALPA are lobbying to have this issue taken seriously nationwide, and to put a priority on police resources to respond to l@zer reports before the perpetrators get bored with the game.

In the cockpit: I'm not a doctor, but I'm pretty confident there would be no lasting damage. Consciously look away and you should be OK, and bear in mind the subconscious natural tendency to track your eyes to a bright light.

Last edited by awblain; 28th Oct 2008 at 03:51.