PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Impacted ear wax
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2008, 19:55
DX Wombat

Location: The Burrow, N53:48:02 W1:48:57, The Tin Tent - EGBS, EGBO
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Decades ago the hot oil for four days was the initial step. Things have moved on. That treatment is vaguely victorian
Vaguely victorian it may be but it is also the best way of softening the wax. The oil should NOT be hot, but body temperature.
Not UK based, but I can assure you that much more efficient removal methods are available varying from instant relief doled out by a Canadian doctor in Negril Jamaica, utilising some kind of peroxide solution,
I've not heard of that so am reluctant to comment except to say that peroxide tends to be drying to the skin.
the current method employed by my Spanish GP, which consists of 5 mins of liquid in each earhole followed by a quick squirt with a warm syringe.
Ear syringing is no longer the preferred method in the UK (or at least in this part of the country) as it poses a risk of permanent damage to the ear drum.
Surrey Towers - Use the warm oil, it will soften the accumulated wax and it may well drain on its own. When you instill the oil plug the canal with some cottonwool coated with vaseline. The vaseline will stop the cottonwool absorbing the oil. You may also find that a little GENTLE massage applied externally will help.