PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IMC rating recommended minima?
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2008, 10:35
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So we have two options to promote it to the Europeans in its original concept as purely a safety tool which I find it hard to see them arguing against or push for a new IR with restrictions for PPLs.
I dont think so. Europe has no interest in a mini IR. Bose has put a huge amount of effort into reducing the workload involved in the IR for the private pilots and his efforts have come to very little (sadly). It is still the case that almost everyone goes the FAA route.

The IMCr should be promoted as a safety tool. A small percentage will use the rating as they do now for intentional flights into IMC.

EASA are concerned with safety. If they do not recognise ICAO IRs, and if they end up abolishing the IMCr and / or do not introduce an IR within the reach of PP (and by that a dont mean sub standard, but based more closely on the FAA model) IMO they will have failed in their primary responsibility to those they regulate.

The IMCr is safe for four years - and AOPA say they have taken up the campaign to retain the rating - I trust they will keep us properly informed on what they are doing and how pilots need to contribute in a timely fashion so proper and comprehensive representation can be made when and as required. The campaign to preserve the IMC rating attracted as much attention as I have seen in GA in a very long time - huge numbers signed the No 10 petition. I personally know the CAA and EASA took the matter very seriously as a result of the response we achieved and ultimately lead to the meeting in London attended by our own IO540 representing the IMC campaign. A great deal more needs to be done to ensure the rest of Europe understands the value of the rating. I hope AOPA have this well in hand. Sadly there are a few that have other agenda. They would rather see the IMC rating abolished. They will make promises of an IR lite. In fact they really wish to see only pilots with a EASA IR operating in European air space. It is they that are the biggest threat to our safety. We should be on our guard.