PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2008, 10:53
MPH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many MD80 or even DC9 series A/C are operational in the world? How many have been built and how many have had accidents? Are their more accidents /incidents on this type due to a wrong config´s. on T/O or indeed Lndg., than any other? I cannot imagine that the B737 series of which more have been built, has had more accidents for the same reason even though the TOWS system seems to work better. In this type of accident, I think you will find that, it all trickels down to crew´s faling to config. the A/C properly and not following SOP´s and checklists. I am not saying that this is what exactly happened here but, looking back at several accidents in the past lots of them can be attributed to crews oversight in following procedures. Design or even mechanical failures are well documented ( rudder problems on the B737, etc) Environmental related yes, CFIT and indeed not following procedures are examples of accident related causes in the past. This accident by the looks of the prelimanary report was due to a wrongly configured aircraft. Do you blame the A/C systems, a non selection of a take-off config. or, is it a slip up in reading and verifying a checklist? It´s going to interesting to see the outcome of the final accident report and hopefully we will learn a little more into what more can cause an accident!

Last edited by MPH; 14th Oct 2008 at 14:45.