PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON - 6
Thread: LUTON - 6
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2008, 16:14
LTNman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was amazed to see so many workman actually working on the new dual carriage way into the airport, probably the most I have seen since work started many months ago.
I think you mean many years ago. Construction work started in June 2006 so we are well into the third year of construction. Signage used to say that the work would take 18 months meaning that it would finish around December 2007. The latest opening date is December 2008 but I suspect it will be late January or even February before it fully opens. There are still 2 large sections where work has yet to begin on laying tarmac as the ground is still only partially graded.

The reason for the extra man power is that yet another date has been missed. The Gypsy Lane turn off for the retail park and airport station was meant to be closed for between 6 and 8 weeks. Tomorrow marks week 9 when the traffic will switch carriageways for a short section by Gypsy Lane.

With reference to the remodelling of the central area, I don’t think the airport has much choice. I did hear that new regulations come into place soon that will ban the existing coach and bus area being used, as it is too close to the terminal if there was a terrorist attack.

Last edited by LTNman; 6th Oct 2008 at 05:09.