PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian Airspace Discussion
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2008, 05:13
Dick Smith

Received 65 Likes on 26 Posts
Willoz269, during my time as Chairman of the CAA, the towers were closed or opened using the approved establishment and discontinuance formula. If I remember correctly, this values human life at about $1 million. A scientific approach was then used to work out whether the local tower was an effective way of spending the dollars.

You seem to have forgotten that the decision at the time was to go to the AMATS changes, which meant the airspace at Proserpine would go to Class E and be controlled from the Centre. Of course, this never happened because of resistance to change.

In relation to affordability, that is what I have always maintained. You should look to see if spending the safety dollars is an effective way of spending out resources. I believe that following the international system (where there is Class E airspace to low levels at busy jet airline airports) is a very effective way of spending the safety dollars.

It is interesting to note that CASA has refused to use the FAA establishment and discontinuance formula for towers such as Avalon. I understand this is because it will clearly show that the tower should be manned. Why otherwise would a proven formula not be used?

In relation to providing a better radar service at our non-tower airports, I can assure you that no safety study has been done. The prejudice against doing this is so fixed that no one has dared to actually see what it would cost and whether it was an effective way of saving the safety dollar.

If you would like to see what was planned with the airspace at the time of the AMATS changes in 1991, I suggest you look here.