PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Green S.I.C's
Thread: Green S.I.C's
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2008, 07:13
CL300

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is good CRM, you told him that this going to be his leg....

What kind of cockpit that is ?

May be was he(she ? I doubt) was not fully ready to take this leg , the answer was very CRM; " Do not push me" equals to I was not mentally ready to act as PF, so I need a bit of time to consider all aspect of this flight, however please tell me that this is ok and i will fly the next one, if there is nothing wrong with you sir.."

Green horns, they are not greener than you when you started flying, would it be 30 years ago, it does not matter, today co-pilots (or First Officers) and even Flight Attendants are taught to speak up, and we are taught to listen and analyze their words, translate them in our environment and take a decision.

Personnaly I like to take a guy out of the sim, first flight in the plane, their grins when engines are starting, when they feel the acceleration, this is where their dream is coming true, they are about to fly a jet. Same thing on the debrief after an approach to minimas, on when they reach 51000ft.
They need this experience , they need us for a knowledge transfusion, this is why we are here, to dissiminate the knowledge, to tell them , everything that happened to us , because no one as enough of one life to make all mistakes available and survive.

The first flight in the plane, they usually try to work out the radios, after having tried to setup the aircraft for flying...Then after a couple of flight, where I try to fly the aircraft will full automation at every stage of flight, it is time for monkey work, just mimick and enforce SOP's. Then, depending on the person, time to go down in automation, and sectors depending , handfly the aircraft from take off to FL 430 and have the feeling of it same for descent and landing. It takes some sectors and time, but they have all the time to be ready.
One thing to remember, aircraft handling is not decision and responsability or Salary.

Have safe flights and a lot of green copilots....