PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian Airspace Discussion
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2008, 23:18
Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
James,

What logical reasons could you or Max honestly muster up to justify this to not be benficial to safety ?, please post these reasons.

Normally I enjoy your posts but you seem to have found a new religion and lost logic if you ask the question of Max in your first line
Certainly not, for example I do not believe this system "would" have stopped the Benalla Accident, it "might have" stopped this accident, at no cost.

Every IFR aircraft descends below LSALT when manoeuvering to approach. At what point do you switch off the ATC alarm process?
James, how well do you understand the IFR ?, if you are flying point A to B, the only time you are allowed to descend below LSALT is when "visual" or when descending to MSA, MVA or as per an approved approach.

Refer my earlier post where i quoted "combination of Grid, route, sector for GPS/DME arrival, precision and/or NPA".

An IFR aircraft should not be below the lowest of any of these unless "visual". Refer your jepps for descent below LSALT.

Let me assure you I am not a Dick Smith convert, to be honest when the term NAS comes out of his mouth or keyboard, my eyes glaze over, but what he is referring to here is quite logical, if we have the technology inplace, why not use it, it may save a life.

Controllers and operators do a great job, unsung heros in my opinion, no less, they often save lives in their daily job but no one evers knows, but with the correct procedures and program parameters inplace, it will not stop aeroplane descending below the applicable height limitations, it just may avert a fatality, it may be you or someone you know.

Last edited by Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower; 25th Sep 2008 at 03:10.