PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How can you afford it?
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2008, 12:18
flyboy1818

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I started flying in the Air Cadets aged 14. Between 16 and 18 I used my life savings (2.5K) and a part time job to pay for a PPL. During the same period I became a gliding instructor in the Air Cadets. At 18 I got my first job in Aviation with a ground handler, working for a year I saved up to go to uni. I went to University at 19, graduated at 22 with a first class honours degree. Whilst at Uni I was on a university air squadron so the queen paid for my flying, unfortunately I did not quite make it into the royal air force. Upon leaving uni I got a well paid job in business aviation. I decided to start my ATPL exams in April, I have passed the first six so far and I hope to have them all finished by next summer. I have no flying debts, but I have been flying for nine years now. Many of my friends took the plunge with the 70k loan and made it, I often look back and wonder if I should have taken the plunge at 18. However I had a great time at Uni and the royal air force has been my focus until recently. I don't know many PPL's that can put aeros, formation, low level, Hawk (just the once),Grob tutor, Viking, B737 (sim), B707 (sim) to there name, so I think its been worth it. I have no flying debts and as a result of the fact that I started my career early I now earn more than many of my fellow graduates, in short my flying pays for itself! I would not be where I am today without it!