PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2008, 09:46
philipat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW problem versus C/B or same?

NOD:

In short, if the takeoff was Flap/Slatless and the TOCW was not working, the accident was not "caused by" the TOCW, IMHO. It might be a "contributory cause" but if you have to reject a takeoff because the TOCW stops you, there should be a form of inquriy into just this... because the TOCW likely saved a lot of lives, and the rest of the "system" had failed.

Thanks for the patience. I do fully understand that this was the actual cause and that the TOCW is a secondary hole in the cheese. I was just trying to understand WHY the TOCW failed.

As discussed already, the RAT probe temperature was a SYMPTOM and disconnecting the heating circuit would not solve the CAUSE. That appears to be that the A/C thought it was in flight mode, presumably because of a failure in the WOW switch?

My question was if the problem was with the WOW circuit, then the infamous C/B would appear to be a red herring. Unless it also is connected in the same circuit.

If simply the WOW switch it seem incredible that such a small failure can result in the loss of a critical system (TOCW).

Sorry if I am not making myself clear.