PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings (Cadets) Thread - Part 2.
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2008, 18:53
EvelcyclopS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HSBC offered a professional student loan which covered the bond, foundation course and living expenses of a CTC student on an unsecured basis - meaning you wouldnt need any capital (house) to get funding.

Now the economic slowdown is upon us, it is no longer wise for HSBC to be offering such dangerous financing (very difficult to retrieve loss if repayments canot be made)so they are ending the unsecured offer.

It is now awarded on a secured basis, meaning that you need to have a significant amount of capital to raise that amount of funds ( e.g. a house worth approx 100k i would imagine) so that if you mess up, they can get their money back in kind.

The difficulty for most people going through CTC is; most will be either 19yrs old fresh out of college with no capital and 21/22 yrs olds fresh out of Uni, with a dodgy credit rating and 12-15ks worht of debt already. and no house.

so getting finance basically rests upon your parents, whether they will put their house up as collateral for you to fly. i know mine wont, so its a really tough issue where funding comes from otherwise. Perhaps finding a personal investor is possible, but in this climate, i'd imagine it would be difficult.