PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2008, 00:12
justme69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
News already on TV:

Informe en exclusiva - laSexta|Noticias

More bits of information:
-Chosen take off flaps configuration 11º (which, as we know, was never set for whatever reason).
-First take off attempt, before RTG, had the flaps in the correct position.
-RAT probe now said to measure 105º (before it was thought to be 99º??)
-14:23:22, airplane ended taxiing the second time and got ready to TO.
-14:23:28, acceleration inititated, thrust commanded a few seconds before
-14:24:06, crew called out V1 (before it was thought only VR was called???)
-14:24:10, CVR records a pilot saying "rotate" (calling VR??)
-Data recording signals front wheel sensor change of state (front wheels off the ground??).
-No sound from TOWS.
-Data recording wing sensors indicate flaps at 0º at that time and before.
-Altitude reached 12,2m (40 feet).
-15 seconds after rotation is initiated stick shaker comes on.
-4 seconds later, aural stall alarm (synthetic voice sounds twice stall, stall)
-Slight left roll. Deep 20º right roll. Slight roll left again. Steep roll to the right.
-Tail cone hits the ground.
-Engines don't show signs of ingestion of foreign bodies or internal components or fire (that are believed to have happened before the accident, of course).
-Tail control surfaces don't show so far signs of fractures or problems prior to the accident either.
-Same with landing gear.
-Same with the reverser, where the preliminaries haven't found a reason to believe the only working one was deployed except later on by the pilots.

There is a question I would like to ask to MD-82's pilots. In the conditions we are all speculating this accident could've happened, what would've you done? Would you have commanded full thrust, lowered the nose (a bit) and go for the flaps lever? Do you think you could've gotten out of the situation on time given your reaction speed? (I understand that "not rushing out" decissions is also important, specially during takeoffs).

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if the MD-82 can "somewhat easily" get out of the "stall" situation in a similar case if a pilot takes the decission to go "full thrust"/etc in, say, 4 seconds or if it really is very hard to get out of a situation like that unless the action is taken almost inmediately as soon as one feels the stick shaker and even then "success" is only, say, a 50/50 chance (under those conditions of weight, temperature, wind, ground effect, etc). I know a good analysis is not possible without more information, like airspeed, etc, but just an estimation based on your experience is all I need. Thanks.

Last edited by justme69; 16th Sep 2008 at 04:22.