PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2008, 13:06
agusaleale

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also have no trouble (at all) believing that, pilots trained anywhere in the world with TOP CLASS facilities and methods, like I believe the ones employed in Spain are, eventually develop ways to "relax" those procedures or even skip parts of them altogether.

I do believe that in some countries, due to cultural issues having to do with "I know better than everybody else" attitude, some of those "rules" are eventually relaxed more than others AFTER TRAINING.

Without having any knowledge on how far that can go in the piloting community in Spain, considering how people drive around with little regard to rules in a country where it takes on the average 3 months of theoretical training +40 hours of paid professional driving training to obtain a driver's license, again, I wouldn't be surprised if the pilots actually just casually said "flaps/slats ok" without even looking (not saying that it happened, just that it would not surprise me personally if it did).

Shhhsss ... there is people that still refuse to drive with safety belts on or that forget to wear them quite often.

Many here have admited being properly trained but eventually skipping parts of check lists, answering challenges w/o really looking, etc. It's not common, but it happens. Everywhere. Just yesterday, as you know, a pilot with over 30 years of experience in Canada tried to land w/o doing the check list and with the landing gears retracted ... I don't think he was taught to do it that way in Canada or that his checklist procedure was defective. Just that he didn't do it properly or at all.

Training and management I PERSONALLY don't think were part of the Spanair accident at all. Scandinavian Airlines is a serious company that takes those issues seriously. Spanair has not had accidents with victims in its 20 years of heavy operations
Justme69:
Your hypothesis is a complete "fallacy". Sorry, but I canīt accept it....
You seem to have reliable information about the failure of the pilots, I can accept that; but gettinī suspicious of misconduct of every pilot in Spain because the driving license system is not too good !!