PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2008, 16:01
TeachMe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks PJ2

My point is that while it seems that having cabin crew check flap/slats is a good idea to this SLF, one thing I have learnt from pprune is that an improvemnt in one area may cause greater problems in another area. As the goal is to reduce the overall risk, not specific risk of one situation, any change in procedure must be subject to an overall risk evaluation. If it costs little to nothing and does not increase the risk of another problem, then it is hard to argue agaist.

Rainboe's example of the smell smoke is a good example of the cry wolf situation and associated costs, and must be considered in this evaluation. PJ2 makes the point of routine, yet IF this accident is due to flaps/slats, then perhaps part of the problem is that the flight crew's routine was altered. In such cases there is always the chance that the cc's routine would have caught it. In this situation, perhpas having cc do visual checks may be a good idea (assuming again it does not increase other risks).

Again, I am not suggesting either course of action, just trying to understand by frameworking for the discussion.