PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Magnetos---best way to check
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2008, 18:03
Leezyjet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where I trained in South Africa, it was always L,both,R,both,off,both. In the Uk however, it seems to be the norm to not bother with the "off" bit.

I was also taught not to do mag checks near the fuel pumps in SA, but my CPL instructor in the UK said I had to follow what the check list said regardless of where I was parked !!.

Another thing I was taught in SA was to do a mixture check during the run up, by leaning out the mixture until it runs rough, then winding in 3 full turns, then back to fully rich. When I did this in the UK, (whilst using my SA check list) the Instructor nearly had a heart attack.

The UK check list also just states "mixture rich", however try taking off at a high altitude airfield on a hot day with a fully rich mixture and you will be lucky to get off the ground - probably not a major problem in the UK, but if one goes off touring overseas it could be. In SA it is "mixture - Rich for sea level" so you know to set it depending on the requirements of the airfield elevation/temp on the day.

Now I just do what each club wants depending on where I'm flying, it's their toy after all.