PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2008, 04:41
wings1011

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
possible scenario of accident

Hi

I just wrote a long story of something that could be interesting but it disappeared somehow. Just to make it shorter, Our company did have an simailar incident last year at Lanzarote canary island while taking off with an MD83. After rotation experienced stall and 50 deg bank left and then recovering and then right 50 deg. This whent on for a few times back and fwd and somehow manage to get the aircraft stable with selecting gear up and just continue towards the slow hill at about 100 ft of altitude. Crew then found out flap handle in up position. How was that possibe ?? This is an officilal NTSB report and they found c/b -L/H GND CTRL RLY OUT when landed safely. What did cause that ??
Due to engineer performing their daily check and pulling this c/b to be able to check the strobe lights working on GND. A Std procedure since decades on the type among engineers worldwide.
This C/B does a few things it does:Put the aircraft partly artificially in FLT mode and does put the RAT sensor heating on and turn the avionic FAN off and the cabin recirculation fan off. This is normally easliy spotted is inside cockpit when turning systems off but potentially could be missed if systems already off ( i.e c/b already pulled when entering cockpit).
Going back to the accident aircraft they reported to have had problems with RAT probe heating and came back first time. And the engineer on duty just HIL the item without understaning why it actually had broken. Its by no coincident that just that probe is broken, thats the only one controlled by WOW (weight on wheels) and heating is turned on when a/c is airborne or the famous L/H GND CTL RLY c/b is pulled. The probe will soon go to ovht then fail. At the end of the day it could have been on for hours depending on when the last daily were performed prior flight.
Second thing they reported thrust rating problems, that is also no coincidence since the RAT probe is sensning current OAT and is controlling thrust setting in FLEX and other modes and if probe heat is on it will soon go to a 100 deg celcius and the the thrust management system will think all is crazy since it it sensing a 100 deg outside and the TRP will for sure go to "NO MODE" without anybody understanding why.
The famous C/B L/H GND CTRL RLY also does controll the take off warnig system of the MD80 aircraft that ofcourse means if it is pulled the take off warning system will NOT work. Then It is ofcourse possible to takeoff without flap and slap extended and NO warning will be coming on. I hope you do understabd my plaussable scenariao.
Just one of those flights when all went terrible wrong crashing with a almost perfectly working aircraft in almost perfect weather.Very sad !
What saved our aircraft compared to the Spanair one is the the MD83 is smoking the JT8D-219 and not the -217 mounted on most of the 82s and with less weight of the day and some slope ahead keeping the GND effect for a few moments and everybody alive.
Fellow guys-reading checklist properly and always and less complacancy with proper system knowlege saves LOTS of life.

My story anyway and I do think the MD 80 is an absolutely fantastic aircraft-most people killed in it did not for some reason follow the rules. By NO means saying that the Spanair guys didnt since no officilal report is made. This is just my own conclution and a possible scenario based on 17 years of experience on type and hopefully just some good analyzing

Ps. for you guys in the left seat of the MD80 pls have a closer look just behind your left shoulder if that famous C/B is pushed in, it could potentially have the different of coming down in one pice or in millions...
and you cold bet you sweet ass on that this particular C/B is pulled every single day on every MD 80 operator aound the globe so just make sure its IN before ju start !!!

Fly high

L1011

Last edited by wings1011; 5th Sep 2008 at 06:19. Reason: continuing