PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 18:14
sevenstrokeroll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TeachMe:

you must tell us, did you shampoo again?

that is the whole point of flying...almost, but not quite, being paranoid about the important things LIKE SLATS/FLAPS.

Just as thrust was applied to start taxiing, with the slats up, we would hear the warning horn...thus checking that circuit.

Then I moved the flap handle and watched for a blue light and the proper indication on the flap gauge. I didn't release the handle until the light and gauge were proper (and I heard the very comforting PLUNK of the slats moving into place)

Later, as we taxied, the checklist called for checking the slats/flaps and then the takeoff warning configuration. If the slats were set, No warning...if a warning was heard, the slats were not set.

Then, as we took the runway, I checked the slats/flaps once more...not a checklist item but a KILLER ITEM as discussed before. FLAPS, TRIM, SPOILERS will all kill you on takeoff if not properly set.

You see, I (and many other pilots) would check the flaps/slats 3 times before takeoff and the takeoff warning system twice.

PLUS the OTHER PILOT would hopefully check the flaps/slats too.

AND YES, you think you have already checked the slats/flaps...And we used "muscle memory" that our hand had to jiggle the flaps handle a couple of times to "FEEL" right before takeoff.

And to the people asking about automatic stuff. the dc9/md80 has very little automation compared to the airbus 320. And perhaps that is a good thing.

How many times do you check to see that your door is locked at night before sleep?

Last edited by sevenstrokeroll; 3rd Sep 2008 at 19:33.