PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL Flight Planning Tricks, Short Cuts etc
Old 30th Aug 2008, 13:14
ReverseFlight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi mingalababya, just read your post after a couple of weeks' break from Pprune.

With 1 engine inop, you can still fly on its remaining engines if properly configured (drift down), so you must hold for the wx. Depressurisation requires immediate descent to Lsalt and sucks fuel and so requires an immediate landing. Never mind the wx, the tower will clear the runway for your emergency, hence no holding.

45 minutes for a question is too slow - it should be more like 10-15 minutes max. From my memory there are 20+ questions and with a least 3 which were 5 marks and a lot of others worth 3 or 4 marks. The secret is not to calculate your answers but to do rough estimates - winds, distances, weights etc - and pick the nearest answer.

Often you can discard half the answers given cos' they are in the wrong direction in a PNR/CP etc. Another way is to do a rough estimate and work back from the answer given which is closest to your estimate, and if the numbers are not right, then move to the next closest answer, and so on. That way you can finish a question in between 1 and 5 minutes.

Tackle the 5 markers first, then the 4s and then the 3s. That way you will not be bogged down with wasting time on a 3 marker when there are more marks to be gained elsewhere.

I don't have my materials with me but I hope this helps.