PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2008, 10:02
Green-dot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Green-dot;

Xander posted that comment at #1280 - I haven't flown the MD80 series, just the DC9-10 and 30 series. I don't want to answer for him but I think the following comments you made are correct:

Quote:
What you are explaining is that on the MD82, in case of a TR unlocked/deployed during take off, the affected thrust lever will not retard to idle, will not disengage auto-throttle (if applicable) and there is no alert inhibit above 80kt upto 1000ft AGL? In other words if i understand you correctly, the thrust lever will remain in the position as commanded and there is no alert inhibit any time during any of the take off phases?Unquote

I agree with these statements and I think xander's comments are correct.

The MD80 fleet-type is not a FADEC-equipped engine installation. FADEC controls the reverse deployment on the 320/340 fleet types, (CFM56 installation) and has the capability to reduce the engine to IDLE if it senses an unlocked reverser.
P2J, my apologies for the mixup between you and xander and thank you for your explanation and clarification.

I would think, the MD82 not being FADEC equipped, there would be a provision in the mechanical interlock to retard the thrust lever to idle in case of an uncommanded TR deployment. Apparently this is not the case on the MD82.

Also I understand there is a difference in operational philosophy between the type I have worked on (Fokker 70 and 100) which inhibit certain alerts- and the MD8x series which apparently do not inhibit certain alerts during some stages of the takeoff phase.

Regards,
Green-dot