PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2008, 09:37
SIDSTAR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rananim Post 1282:

Well said re checklist handling. I would add one extra item:

Pilot reading "challenge" to look at the switch in order to ensure that the response (usually from the PF in most SOPs) matches the actual position of the switch/control etc.

In the past week, I have been very disappointed to find 3 different FOs that I flew with, none of whom looked/checked to see if my responses were actually in agreement with switch positions. This really is the final "closing of the loop" in 2-crew operations where different people perform some or part of the actions. It is necessary as one cannot always rely on good error-tolerant design to always catch the problem. A takeoff configuration warning system has been standard on transport category a/c for many years, but it's not much use if the power to it is lost, for example.

Checking that the flap lever is actually firmly in the takeoff detent is a good habit as is visually checking anything that can be seen. It just might save your neck one day.
Airmanship is just a list of good habits that other good airmen taught us as we learned the profession. Unfortunately we're not born with it.

Most of all, ensuring that the FO feels fully confident in calling out anything that (s)he's not happy with is essential to proper CRM. This can only be provided by the Captain's attitude.

Many thanks to PJ2 for all his (always) considered and informative responses to every technical discussion in particular the TAM accident and this one. What a pity to hear that he's now retired. Hopefully not lost to the profession. Thank you sir and I and many others hope to continue to hear and learn from you.

Sid