PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2008, 17:58
Smilin_Ed

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
What keeps bugging me in the flapless scenario: If you depart without flaps, you should notice something is wrong when you rotate in the first place.
I'm with you Avionero. It seems that no one is flying the airplane off the runway. They're just rotating at V1 and expecting the aircraft to do the expected.

I'm also disturbed with the idea that pilots are inputting data into calculators and not considering whether the output is reasonable. Garbage in, garbage out. One instance noted indicated that the crew ignored what to me would have been a very obvious 33 knot error in V1. When taking off in a heavy 747, wouldn't you think that something like 33 knots would stand out like a sore thumb? Are these guys robots or pilots?

Being a military pilot who only has a couple thousand hours in transport aircraft, all props, I don't know much about large high-bypass engines, but I seem to remember from ground schools that N1 isn't a viable indication of thrust in a twin spool engine. I thought that N1 was just along for the ride, although a very low N1 should certainly catch someone's eye.