PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2008, 15:50
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I noticed that someone was talking about a "takeoff stall" recovery and said the call was "MAX THRUST"...we say "FIREWALL POWER" and or FIREWALL THRUST...SELECTING FLAPS 15...but if you already have flaps 15, that is just a confirmation . There is a difference between max and firewall in our lexicon.
Most operators now leave the flaps and gear where they are (same for GPWS and windshear recovery) and call for 'Max Thrust' these days, at least on the Boeings and Airbuses I've flown in recent years. The additional flap call may be a legacy from Douglas or peculiar to the DC-9 variants.

'Firewall Thust' on older non-Fadec engines would have you push the throttles all the way up, possibly overboosting, overspeeding or overtemping the engines in an effort to save the aircraft. In newer engines pushing the throttles all the way to the stop gives you the maximum with appropriate limits so Firewall Thrust is the same as Max Thrust for a lot of us.

Sometimes you will have to do something to cancel a derate if you want Max Thrust after the throttles have declutched on the take off roll. The DC's I flew had human autothrottle so I'm not familiar with those new fangled twin engine DC models.