PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Connies at RAF Northolt. Anybody know ?
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2008, 15:37
Panop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies, the information supplied would seem to answer my question. Was I mistaken in thinking that I had seen Pakistan Air Force connies also ?

Regards

SHJ
SHJ your memory matches mine.

The PAF used to send Connies (somewhat rarer than the Indian ones which were, more or less, scheduled visitors). I recall their visits were sometimes notable for the chaos they could cause Heathrow and Northolt due to the apparent inability of some of their crews to cope with navigation and communication requirements in the crowded airspace. I was in the jump seat of a Viscount out of LHR in 1972 (Kestrel G-AVJB for the record) that had to hold whilst ATC extracted a wayward PAF aircraft (pretty sure it was a Connie but not 100%) from our SID route. The co-pilot of the Viscount was a Pakistani national who was suitably unimpressed with the skills of his countrymen!

The other Connies at Northolt were, of course, occasional US Military C-121s to supplement the regular parade of ("boring"!!!) C-47, C-54, C-117, C-131, C-118, T-29 and T-39 types.