PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - L@ser attacks on Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2008, 14:17
BladePilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Banned in the UAE

Don't try taking any type of laser into the UAE as they are banned. they make no distinction between types (1,2,3,4). Pen lasers or other similar laser pointy devices in hold or hand baggage will be confiscated and your name (passport details) will be added to the bad boy list!

First recorded 'attack' by green laser in Abu Dhabi was reported by an Etihad crew in 2006 on approach to AUH. The crew did the right thing and reported the incident to ATC who turned out the local police, no one was apprehended. The incident was reported in the local press about a week later and within a couple of days of the newspaper story numerous sightings of green and red lasers were being reported around the Emirate. Seems the local boys had discovered a new plaything! Seems things have gone quiet these days thankfully.

Unaware that they were doing anything wrong the GCAA gave out 'pen lasers' to anyone who visited their stand at an aviation exhibition in the UAE earlier this year! Boy that was embarassing!

Did King Harold lose and eye to a green or red laser, maybe I'm getting my history confused?