PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2008, 17:05
cliffnemo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although I said I would describe the advanced exercises next, in actual fact . the first exercises were initially the same as the ones described during preliminary training., but in a different aircraft and a new instructor Mr Chronister. He was the first instructor I met who always wore cowboy boots for flying, he explained the curved back to the heel rolled on the floor better making it easier to control the rudder pedals. He demonstrated the use of the various controls, radio. Throttle, mixture control. Tank selection switch, and the extra instruments including gyro compass, and artificial horizon. Use of flaps., and retracting under carriage. On our first take off ,he explained procedure for checking fuel supply, start up on number one tank, run engine to check full revs, then check for mag drop, taxy out on number two tank, change back to number one for take off. Think I mentioned before that two of our cadets were killed because on changing over from number two to number one prior to take off , the pilot didn’t push the control knob over far enough, leaving it half way between, they took off and the aircraft crashed.
However, where we relied on visual signals , aldis/vary pistol for permission to land etc, we now had the use of two way radio, and were instructed to call the tower for permission, using the words “ Hello Darr tower, this is 295 on the base leg, wheels down and locked , pressure up, gas on reserve, permission to land over” when the airfield controller would reply “ 295 land when clear, out “.
One of our oppos was having trouble, he was the shortest in the flight, and on his first trip in the A.T 6, found he was not sitting high enough to see out of the windscreen.. The flight mechs raised the seat for him, but then he couldn’t reach the rudder pedals. They then put blocks on the pedals but this was considered unsafe so he was “washed out” and returned to Canada.

For the first four hours we carried out previous excercises but mainly concentrated on “circuits and bumps” after which I had to sign a statement to the effect that I was familiar with the fuel and hydraulic system., recommended speeds, local traffic rules etc. Later I signed to say I fully understood the procedures for action in the event of fire, and abandoning aircraft. After this I flew my first solo.in the A.T 6. Now free to explore Kaw lake (169 miles of shore line) the Arkansas river, Free as a bird.