PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying Club/tuition shuts down in Aberdeen
Old 2nd Aug 2008, 23:52
Mister Geezer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
papa600

Would these "exploits" include Formation flying C152's in a flypast at ABZ ..... you really had to be there to believe someone had the brass neck to ask ATC for it!
I may have been involved in some of the formation flying activities! Not sure why a brass neck was needed since we were simply enjoying our flying and all these activities were done when we were on our own! However quite a few of my exploits were done in order to get me out of the road at the request of ATC. Looking back I am glad that I have these memories of happy times at the 'Flying Club' since as I said, they are the most fun days of my flying career and that is now after nearly 5 years of airline flying.

One of the funniest stories involved a few of my former colleagues who were flying together and were returning to Aberdeen from Dundee (from memory) on a maintenance ferry flight. To add some spice to the flight, they thought they would fly below radar cover right until they reached the zone boundary near Portlethen and then pull up into radar cover and contact ATC just before they entered controlled airspace for joining clearance. For some of the trip they were possibly looking up at the tops of the cliffs as they tracked north whilst offshore. After pulling up into radar cover and making contact on 'Aberdeen Approach', one of my former colleagues asked the ATCO (who they knew and lived on the coast near Stonehaven) how long he knew about them before they called up and was expecting to be told that the poor ATCO had no warning whatsoever due to no radar cover! They were obviously a tad surprised when the ATCO remarked that he had been expecting them for a few minutes before they called, however the ATCO remarked that his wife had phoned him at work and commented that she had just looked out of the house and seen a light aircraft level with the house whilst plodding up the coast!

Priceless....