PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Joyce the new CEO of Qantas
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2008, 12:55
ElPerro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DutchRoll
Actually, no ElPerro, I don't have an old job I could walk back into, or at least there is no way on this planet I would even try.
Actually you do. You just haven't asked the right people. I know you..

There are other reasons I don't need the money from this job. Not a cent.
I don't doubt that!

That being beside the point I suppose, Joyce has quite flagrantly lied to, deceived, and brazenly insulted QF mainline pilots before, and there is certainly no reason to believe that any of this will change. He is also obsessed with costs to the point that, as I alluded to previously when talking of safety, he appears blissfully happy to sacrifice anything for a short-term gain.
Surely you could point to a risk-management assessment of JetStar's to prove your point.?

I remember seeing a program some years ago where a fairly well known and highly respected (and honoured) CEO of a huge, successful multinational company was talking about how he ran things. One point: cost-cutting, while necessary occasionally, is a short-term and unsustainable way of maximising profit.
To apply that logic to all companies is false. It depends on the strategic situation the company resides in. To quote Rod Eddington:
Originally Posted by Rod Eddington (former CEO of British Airways)
"But you should never arrive assuming that, say, just because you have seen a problem at Ansett or Cathay Pacific and you knew the solution there, that the same problem had the same answer,
Another point: in industries dependant on heavy equipment, you have to continuously invest in new equipment to stay competitive.
True enough (See Sir Rod).. however QF has done pretty well on the global scene when looking at return on equity.

While so far pleasing to shareholders who can see no further than this year's dividend, Dixon now finds himself in a bind. A relatively old, inefficient, and increasingly problematic fleet with a downturn on the horizon, patched up by a few purchases here and there (of vastly different aircraft types of course), substantial delays in the new hardware, an unhappy and unmotivated workforce, and with competitors chomping at his heels with shiny new efficient jets, good service and reasonable prices only kept at bay by Australian Government restrictions!
Doesn't sound too much different to most carriers. True, some have their 380's off the line first, but strategically speaking QF isn't like many of the US carrier's flying the MD's etc.. Do yourself a favour and hop off the jet in LA and go for around around the US. You'll miss QF pretty quickly (especially given your job!

If you were a stockbroker, you'd be a nut to have a "buy" advice on QAN, and Joyce is a carbon-copy of Dixon.[/quote] Yes but you are assuming that people only have the option of buying airline stock. Even the old CEO of American Airlines said that airlines are a great place to work but a crap place to invest...

Dixon's legacy is going to be of a company backed into a corner - a situation Joyce is unlikely to change. Things just couldn't get any better, eh?
I think you'll find his legacy is leaving an airline that was one of the most profitable in the world, where it was based in a country with a population less than California.

Last edited by ElPerro; 28th Jul 2008 at 13:09.