PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easyjet Speedy Boarding Scam
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2008, 13:03
Capot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easyjet Speedy Boarding Scam

I realise that Easyjet's Speedy Boarding has been discussed ad nauseam already but.....

Today's Sunday Times Travel "Rant" section carries yet another story about this. This time the passenger who paid £10 for a service that was simply not provided eventually took the matter to the small claims court, and won.

Easyjet's response to the Sunday Times was to say that the passenger had emailed 21 times, they got fed up with replying and simply didn't reply any more.They stated that the charge is described as "non-refundable", as though that means something . They said that they had not attended the court by an oversight, implying that had they attended, they would have won.

I hope that Flying Lawyer occasionally still glances at these pages; my clear understanding of the law is that if you take someone's money to supply a service in the future, and then simply do not bother to supply that service, you must return the money on demand, perhaps with interest. You have a contract and you have failed to perform it, and the law has a number of remedies for the person who paid to seek. One of them, specific performance, is obviously no longer available.

It is simple, puerile nonsense to claim that describing the charge as "non-refundable" absolves Easyjet from providing the service paid for by the charge.

If it were not nonsense, every other crook in the country would be busily taking money from people by way of "non-refundable" advance payments for goods and services they have no intention of supplying, and getting away with it.

Easyjet could have attended that court with an army of lawyers, and would still have lost. Judges are not stupid.

I am amazed that anyone is foolish enough to pay for the so-called "Speedy Boarding" scam; anyone who has paid and does not receive it should note this case carefully and sue if necessary. You'll win.