PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2008, 06:51
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For that information you must pay!

You guys know Brits and you know Nigeria so just connect the dots however you like to come up with one very weird scenario on one very weird Monday morning. In hindsight it made sense but at the time it was laughably weird.

Ask Neo; he knows all and if he doesn't know he'll be happy to make something up. Just don't let him sell you a fairly-used generator once he starts talking to you.

The next afternoon from Chicken Tetrazzini was 9/11. My nerves were already fried and twitching when I walked into the living room at House 6 on that estate in PH to see some crappy disaster movie playing on the TV. A minute later we realised that it was no movie but CNN live from New York City. It took me a whole day to remember to call and check on my sister and her husband who live and work in that area because it seemed so unreal.

Never mind third-rate war stories. The main point is simply that you all need to make an informed decision about staying or leaving, when that can be really difficult. The longer you spend in a place the more ties develop, as a worker.

The bosses spend their time up there in some air-conditioned aerie making those cool decisions about whether to give the serfs new strings for their balalaikas, see if that makes them happy enough to stave off trouble for as long as it takes until they can move on to another operation. The good stuff only comes in dribs and drabs, especially given that notorious system that ties the bonus to spending as little as possible. So much for investing in the future of Nigeria. (How often do you read a sentence combining those two words, "future" and "Nigeria"?)

You guys are down there sweating it out in the hangar or the cockpit, trying to keep things running. That gives a very different perspective, when loyalty to the company and to your fellows can keep you in place long after a cooler head might tell you to leave. Just think about how often you have been told by leavers that it is better elsewhere; that cannot always be "sour grapes," can it?