PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways DEP Selection - THE lowdown Part 1
Old 13th Jul 2008, 17:56
FlyingKnobbi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sim Check

Hi Guys,

I recently did the sim check and have noticed that a few people asked about it or commented on the lack of information. I think the main reason for missing info is that there isn't alot to say. I will, however, mention as much as I can remember - if it helps.

Of course you know it is on 747-400. Whole "session" with brief etc lasts about 5 hours. Actual flying was about 45 minutes as PF and PM. A very comprehensive brief was giving on what you will be assesed on and the bits of the 747 you need to know. Very similar to 737NG in layout etc. Told you are being assesed on manual handling, CRM and ability to complete TR course in "normal" time.

So the assesment: You are given 15 minutes to plan your sector directly before your turn. From my experience it is worth noting where the TOD is planned on the flight plan. You need an idea of where to go down. In my case it was a very short sector of about 100miles, took up the hold then destination closed and diverted to another close by airport. Time in cruise about 5 minutes, not much time to do approach brief etc - be aware! Assesment stops at decision altitude, ie landing not assesed!

You are given 5 minutes handling to practice directly before you are assesed. Take-off, climb, level-off, basic autopilot practice then fly ILS. Some tips given by instructor.

No autothrottle, no FD. Between transition alt and transition level you can use autopilot in Heading Select and Level Change modes - you still have thrust.

What I noticed about flying 747: VERY sensitive in pitch and roll. MASSIVE pitch/power couple. Was less "stable" than I thought it would be. Should think that if my check was a real flight the passengers may have been sick!

After the both of you have flown then you are asked one thing that you thought was "good" and "bad." From what I understand this, although talked about casually at the end, is important. It shows that you realised your weakness/mistakes etc. If you screw up the ILS and don't mention it because you think that maybe he didn't notice (!) then that would be a very bad move. Equally if you say it was all good (even if it was) = bad move.

Don't forget basic CRM, ie discussions, open-questions, helping the other one. Try to show you have some spare capacity by mentioning out loud something you may have calculated in your head!!

I feel that most of what I have typed is obvious so sorry about that but it may help!