PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - You Know You Are In Africa When.....
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2008, 05:52
9-er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great thread

This is the funniest thread ever, keep the posts coming guys. Having spent my entire career so far in Africa, I can certainly relate to all these experiences! This was my personal favorite:

We'd just landed our F.28 and were asked to make a 180 at the end of the runway and backtrack to the parking, first holding short of the intersecting runway for landing traffic, a C182. Imagine our surprise on completing our 180 to find the aforementioned Cessna on short final for the very runway we were backtracking! The tower controller screamed at him to go-around, which he did (from about 10 feet), before completing a split-arse turn to line up for the intersecting runway. When asked what the hell he had been playing at, he replied that he could have landed well short of us - no mention of being lined up with a runway 90 degrees off the one he was supposed to be landing on! On parking, the 182 pilot was asked to report to the tower to further explain himself. We watched in total amazement as the pilot stepped down from his plane and strode towards the tower building, sporting (I kid you not) an eyepatch over his right eye! He had been carrying 2 passengers who were connecting to our flight.