PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2008, 04:04
NinjaDan954

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Arm out the Window. Are you allowed to fly like that?

I took a one hour aerobatics flight with Red Barons flights today... WOW.
Sure, it may have bruised me financially (one hour cost ~$400) I am SOOOO glad I did this before going - IMO worth every cent. The people were really nice and very understaning - I squeezed in at the last minute, and they were very accomodating in this regard. I had Keith Kur as my instructor, and he was a fantastic tutor/instructor.
We covered (and I performed) taxiing, take offs, levels flights, aileron rolls, loops, loop-roll combinations, mid flight stalls, cuircuiting and landing (which I got! yeah!!!)
Sorry to sound like an arrogant bastard / boasting... i think I'm still on a buzz/high from the ride. It certainly has made me more aware and more confident internally, and now have an idea of what to expect with various manoeuvers and the G-forces associated with them.
If you are about to undertake the OSB, and haven't done so already, I would strongly advise you fork out a few hundred bucks and at least get up there for some get-used-to flying.
If you're in Sydney/Bankstown area, head to www.redbaron.com.au
Sorry to sound like a commercial plug, but the guys at Barons were really great. If i had more time (or rather, if they had more slots available this week) I would do some more, for sure!

After speaking to several people (RAAFies/Navy and instructors) I have received mixed views on whether as a RAAF pilot you are pilot first and officer second or officer first and pilot second.
I know it doesn't sound like abig issue, but I wanted to be sure/correct before going in to OSB. Just in case.

Oh yeah, and if you are going to strap yourself in to the seat tight (ie, aerobatics) make sure you do NOT have your wallet in your rear pockets. I couldn't feel my right leg/thigh/knee/toes after 15 minutes from take off