PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Waddington Airshow
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2008, 10:22
nacluv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, whilst I'm in a posting mood, here's a bit more.

One of the more interesting displays earlier on was the 'Coningsby's old and new' formation, i.e. the BBMF PR XIX and a Eurofighter Typhoon. The performance disparity was clear for all to see - the PR was gunning it's nuts off, and the 'Phoon was reared up like a startled horse. Afterwards, the PR's Griffon was popping and crackling like crazy when it came in on it's downwind leg. Poor thing!

Here's the AOA comparison...

The French Mirage display later on (just before 558) was also excellent. The driver really went for it. Best bit was the 500+kt r to l run followed by the 30kt run l to r, with the thing stood right up on it's tail. Mental.

I spoke to some of the Buff crew for quite a while and they said they only had a 5% chance of displaying. The main reason was not the weather - it was weight! Where they were stood (right behind 558) the tarmac was not able to support their fuelled-up weight, so it was stood there almost dry - hence why the outriggers were 5ft clear of the floor. They would have had to taxi over to the other side of the airfield to fuel up, and the scheduling didn't look like being able to accommodate that. Great shame.

Many thanks to Lizabeth Grupe (the Buff's co-pilot on this occasion, but a Buff QFI by day) and the time she and her crew gave to a great many members of the public.