PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow Photos
Thread: Bristow Photos
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2008, 01:12
parabellum
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
phive - Yes, sadly that was the same aircraft, brand spanking new and about three months late in delivery, AGIP were thrilled I hear!!!

However, in fairness to JG he didn't go below. A heavy radio had been loaded in the cargo hold at the rear, on arrival at the rig, (very shallow water, very high leg with helipad on top), all pax got out and disappeared down the ladder leaving JG well out of balance. No response to his repeated radio calls at all. JG frictioned down the controls and got out to unload the radio himself but the helipad was steel with no grip of any sort and almost immediately the aircraft started to move, JG just got out of the way in time to see it go over the side! There was a sort of rule/convention that if there was only room for one helicopter on a pad then one shouldn't shut down for fear of a subsequent failed start but when I was in AUH on a WS55/3 contract the company insisted we shut down for three or four hours at a time during well testing etc.
JG was a great guy and every one felt sorry for him, the good news was that he kept his job.