PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Just What Is Allowed?
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2008, 01:15
Glamgirl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you go on to NewScientist.com and search for "mobile phones on aircraft", quite a few articles come up about interference from mobiles. Here's an extract:

"As a captain of a brand new Boeing 737 aircraft, I can assure readers that the effects of mobile phones are very noticeable on the flightdeck. The chief problem is a series of rapid beeps from the handset when it "checks in" with a base station. The handset does not need to be making or finishing a call to perform this function, it only needs to be switched on. The interference only manifests itself as a loud and annoying interference, but since some of our navigation equipment works on the same frequencies, interference with navigational capabilities cannot be ruled out."

You have to be a subscriber to get the whole article up, unfortunately.

A few years ago (3 I think), NS magazine did a big article on interference from mobile phones on aircraft. In plain English, this is the explanation:

A mobile phone sends out a signal to find a "connection" with a satelite (or similar). When in the air, the phone cannot find such a signal easily (or at all) and therefore sends out stronger and stronger signals. This is what is causing interference and you can imagine what 50 or even 100 phones will do if only 1 phone can noticeably interfere with aircraft equipment.

I've been on flights when there's been interference. Ouch, is all I can say. It does really hurt the ear drums! Also, I've been on a flight where the pilots lost ATC tower contact for 3 seconds just before landing due to a phone being switched on. Yes, it was "only" 3 seconds, but that is 3 seconds too long, especially at that stage of the flight.

The reason why airlines are now looking into using mobile phones on aircraft is partly for the extra income, and partly because of the technology which enables them to do it. Basically, a little box will be fitted in the roof of the aircraft with all the receiver/signal/technology bit so the phone can latch onto that using a very low strenght signal. Therefore it is deemed acceptable. I have to say I'm glad I'm not doing any of the test flights though, as I don't trust this new technology.

Gg (brain worn out now)

Ps. I know some people here said what harm can it do etc. Basically, in the airline industry we do not operate to "lets try this/it'll be ok/oh sure" etc etc. We live by check lists and sticking to rules and we'd rather someone got annoyed at not being able to use their phone (or other equipment) for a couple of hours than potential danger to the aircraft. As for the non-watchers of the demo... that topic has been done a zillion times. If you don't want to watch/listen, at least be quiet about it. Please. Simple as that.

PPs. What is it with people who don't understand that their Blackberry/mobile phone needs to be switched off completely for take off and landing? Every flight, I get the same response: me saying "can you switch off your xyz please?" pax answers: "it is switched off". Let me tell you, if the screen is lit up and it has letters and/or symbols on it, it is not switched off.

Last edited by Glamgirl; 5th Jul 2008 at 01:28.