PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2008, 01:21
bravolima80

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying Training in the 40's

I trained at 1 BFTS, Terrell, Texas from October 1943 to June 44. Stearman for 70 hours. We couldnt speak to our instructor. He would talk to us, then look in the mirror and we would nod that we understood. Then the AT6 or Harvard for 130 hours. We had 20% American cadets on our courses. They took the RAF Wings exam and were presented with RAF and also US Army Wings. Unfortunately when the Army lost most of their Glider Pilots at Arnhem, those of us in the pool at Harrogate, (waiting for Spitfires or Mustangs!!) were asked to volunteer to be seconded to the Glider Pilot Regiment. Some did, so we were read the Riot Act and told that if we didn't volunteer we would never fly again. So we did. We joined the Glider Pilot Regiment, were taught to fly the Hotspur and Horsa or Hamilcar and became the RAF Element, Glider Pilot Regiment. The Glider Pilots, veterans of Sicily, D-Day, and Arnhem, taught us to be infantrymen and to be able to be able to help the troops we took into battle. A lot of us took part in the Rhine Crossing and we lost a lot of our mates. I was on emberkation leave for the Far East when THE BOMB was dropped.
After demob I rejoined and ended up in Coastal Command and I am sure that my GPR training helped me get my commission.