PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ctaf procedures
Thread: ctaf procedures
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2008, 05:38
james michael

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bloggs

He twaddled once too often!! But, I do have high regard for his logic in most cases and it was a bit of fun.

I think if you re-read your last you are circular to a point. My reading of the NAS is that the 10 Nm is recommended BUT the critical point is to remove distance boundaries as a fixed trigger and insert logical radio change or listen steps depending on speed and CTAF operations.

ANY distance boundary fails to differentiate between the time left to arrival of the Tiger Moth and the Dash 8 (which has landed, disgorged, engorged, and departed between the TM call at 10 Nm and its landing )

CTAF R and E TXPDR are in a climate where Australia claims to adopt world's best practice. We don't for cultural reasons. As far as 'no radio' lighties goes, it's CASA again that is the hurdle - the Microair radio that works well in Jabirus etc is type limited and not TSO in GA aircraft to my knowledge. I believe there is NO - repeat NO - reason for non-radio aircraft these days, even if it's an Icom handheld with an external aerial (again, not acceptable to CASA). Too much prescription and adherence to CASA mindsets of the days when crystal sets were the airline communications and transponders had to be warmed up to stabilise the (now defunct) crystal oscillator.

Guns - not world's best practice so I disagree re that. Nor are aspects of the NAS - calling intentions on final is too late and, since you mention flying in the bush, my own experience is that (fortunately) the top of descent call by VFR is still used by most as an extra alert as well as the NAS approach.

Looking out the window dodging no-radio lighties cannot be fun. Nor is dodging a Metro coming at a student pilot who is conducting a landing on the most into wind runway, not a SAAB 340 trying to push a student on first solo NAVEX out of place in the circuit position to save time and avtur.
My point being that my own investigations disclose that behavioural and safety problems are right ACROSS the span of pilots and it's time this RPT/GA cultural crud was put to bed and matters examined on human factors and safety case basis.

Steps down off pulpit