Thread: ctaf procedures
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2008, 10:47
Ando1Bar

As far as i've been tought, 500ft agl turn x-wind or risk sensible ppl turning inside you anyway (request) because you'll end up further from the runway than necessary and safe, and also use excess fuel...

for calls we are tought when busy, an 10mile inbound call (obvious reasons - nothing worse than some bafoon arriving, piping up saying hes suddenly joinging midfield crosswind when your on downwind)
2. overhead the field,
3. joining downwind,
4. base with intensions
5. final also with traffic (ie, turns final, runway ..., number 2). insures the guy infront of you or behind can vacate the runway hastely or take his time etc.
6. departure call. (so the person coming inbound knows your not climbing into his path)

some may think excessive but helps with the whole situationl awareness
You've been taught the wrong thing. Call overhead the field? Base with intentions? Read your AIPs or the information pack put out by DOTARs. Then show your instructor:

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/avi...m/pdf/40pp.pdf

nothing worse than some bafoon arriving,piping up saying hes suddenly joinging midfield crosswind when your on downwind
Nothing wrong with this, a crosswind join is perfectly legit, read the reform.

By the way, you are not 'joining downwind' if coming from overhead the airfield. You have joined crosswind (make the call!) then turned downwind. Joining downwind is from the 45 deg. angle.

As far as i've been tought, 500ft agl turn x-wind or risk sensible ppl turning inside you anyway (request)
It's folk like you that are turning inside of me because YOU are not following the recommendations.

Sorry for the rant, targetting you in particular QCPog, but I've just spent another day guiding my aircraft around others who are not following the recommendations.

I don't always get it 100% right, but I try my hardest to follow the regs and AIP/Jep procedures while trying to pass on airmanship to my students.