PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Please don't make me learn to fly in a Cesspit!
Old 19th Jun 2008, 19:03
Piper.Classique

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Taildraggers are harder to control on the runway than tricycle types, the stick and rudder skill required is higher than that of other conventional tricycle aircraft
Please people.......
Conventional gear is the wheel at the back, i.e a tailwheel. A lower drag configuration than putting the third wheel at the front.

Yes, more skill needed with conventional gear in taxi and landing, but when in the air rather better fuel economy for the same speed, or speed for the same fuel consumption. Better prop clearance and better on rough fields, too. I would also argue that take-off is easier too, as once the tail is in the air the aircraft will fly off the ground once there is enough speed, the wing is already in the flying attitude so there is no need for a positive rotation. As for learning on a tailwheel aircraft, I wish I had been able to, but I had to go with the cheapest option at the time.

If you have a good instructor conversion after the PPL is not too much of a problem, a fully held off landing will work whichever end you put the wheel, and you can learn wheel landings to cope with rough conditions and crosswinds. I fly a Pa18 and a Rans Coyote (tailwheel version), and I can fly any time the club DR400 can, I think actually I have less of a problem in crosswind than either the DR400 or the 180 Rallye that I also fly (club tug a/c)

If you want to learn ab initio on a tailwheel type, I don't see any problem. Maybe a C140 of course it will be pretty old too.....My Cub is older than I am and I'm not about to give you that information, but the C152 I soloed on had only done ten hours.

Remember that just like tricycle gear aircraft, some conventional wheel aircraft are harder to fly than others. How about just getting out there and doing the licence, then tell us all about it?