PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow S-61Ns
Thread: Bristow S-61Ns
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2008, 21:25
Alan Whitfield

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G-AZDC and others

I just found this site, and it sure brings back some memories for me. I worked at Aberdeen 1972-1976 as an engineer. I can certainly confirm that DC was a real workhorse. It just flew and flew, with a great serviceability record. When I joined, ex Fleet Air Arm, in March 1972, we had 3 aircraft, a Wessex 60, and two S61Ns. I'm not sure which two, but probably DC and G-AZNE. I also recall G-AZRF arriving, previously VR-BDU, Singapore. We lost G-AZNE in an accident landing on a drill ship - it floated 'burning and turning' for about 2 hours before running out of fuel and sinking. Fortunately there was no loss of life. When I left to go to the Gulf in 1976, we had a total of 24 aircraft, including some S58T machines - not Sikorsky's best effort!.
At the time, Bristow was buying everything that came off the S61 production line, as fast as they could make them. They came over on container ships, to Cherbourg, and we sent a crew from Aberdeen to put them together on the dockside. The port authorities were very cooperative, and clearded a large area for us. After assembly and ground runs, it was a vertical lift out to clear the very tall lighting towers. There is no doubt that the oil industry in the North Sea could not have happened without the S61N fleet. I now work as a volunteer restorer at the Helicopter museum at Weston Super mare, where we have some ex Bristow Wessex and Whirlwinds. G-AVNE, Wessex 60, is currently undergoing restoration after being out in the elements for many years.
During those early years at Aberdeen, it was extremely hectic, working all hours. When we first began to operate out of Sumburgh, there was no accommodation available on the island, so we had to live in old caravans in the grounds of the Sumburgh hotel - pretty grim in the winter! There was a ferry strike, and the island ran out of beer, so Bristow flew in a special delivery by S61N to prevent a mutiny !
Happy days.