PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Return to the Olden Days
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2008, 09:09
The Wicker Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PPl Instructors

More food for thought concerning the ongoing argument for PPL instructors. I have been flying for 15 years, and running a flying school for 10 years. In this time I have found PPL instructors to be every bit as good their CPL colleagues. We also have PPL CRI(SP) instructors who seem much more enthusiastic than CPLs, as in they will come in on the weekend for 1 or 2 hours flying for no pay, some CPLS will not come in unless they get a full days paid flying, also the PPL instructors still hire out aircraft and fly for pleasure, the CPL attitude seems to be "Iam not paying to fly anymore". With some hour building CPL holders once they have an airline job they let their instructors rating lapse never to be seen again.
As for the argument about the CPL exams, because PPL CRI(SP) instructors are not required to take them does not mean they have not had their heads in all the right books.
The PPL syllabus is about learning basic flying skills and apart from a bit of radio nav is mainly focused on basic dead reckoning and map reading, a skill which since GPS became available seems to be forgotten after ones licence is issued.
So how the effects of the coriolis force on objects in space, as mentioned in an earlier post effects flying a 152 around Kent is beyond me.
I welcome the return of the PPL(FI), With the huge costs involved at the present time to obtain a CPL and instructors rating some good and very experienced PPLs are put of the idea of becoming instructors, if this does not change the industry soon will not exist.