PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Senate Inquiry into CASA.
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2008, 03:46
SIUYA

Received 81 Likes on 25 Posts
Unhappy Quo Vadis?

Geez Air Ace.........

If you remember DCA then you'd obviously remember what it was like in the good old days BEFORE parliament passed the Civil Aviation Amendment Act 2003 in early 2003 to supposedly provide us with the benefits of giving CASA:

1. a greater range of enforcement tools;
2. greater accountability for the making of its decisions; and
3. greater impartiality in decision making by making some of its powers subject to an order of a court.

The bureaucrats in Canberra, having realised that the old system wasn't broken, insisted that it needed fixing, so after a lot of changes, we ended up with the CEO of CASA announcing on 25th November 2003 that:

“I wish to see CASA demonstrate world's best practice in the area of aviation safety regulation. In its daily dealings, CASA must exhibit those behavioural attributes of a good regulator including consistency, accountability, fairness, flexibility and efficiency. The CASA reform process must be taken forward to achieve the Government's aim of a simple-to-follow regulatory system and a new and improved organisational culture. These objectives must be accompanied by explicit benchmarks and a capacity within CASA to demonstrate in a measurable and accountable way how and when these objectives will be met.”
Really?

I certainly hope that the proposed Standing Committee can sort it all out, because after 5 years I'm buggered if I know exactly what those explicit benchmarks are that the CEO referred to, or how CASA has demonstrated in a measurable AND accountable way how and when those objectives are ever going to be met.

Last edited by SIUYA; 4th Jun 2008 at 03:51. Reason: Quo Vadis?