PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fuel prices - can we protest ?
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2008, 16:09
Captain Smithy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can see where you're coming from Gertrude and, to a certain extent, agree with you... although I think more and more people (including myself) are questioning the value of certain services/sections of Govt. and are wanting a better say in how their money (tax) is being used.

Personally it always strikes me as completely rediculous how we can have shortfalls in cash for services, which then get cut to ribbons, and yet other blatantly obvious areas of waste, e.g. overstaffing, stupendous expenses (tellys from John Lewis, second homes, taxi trips etc.), inflated salaries, increasing layers of needless management (Re:overstaffing) etc. get blatantly ignored.

For example, here in Edinburgh, the City Centre is being dug up, causing chaos for commuters and businesses, for a tram scheme which 1) Nobody wants and 2) will cost £600million. And yet this is being propagated, nay forced upon us, by the same Council who is insisting on cuts all over the place to services. And yet we are having this £600million pile of excrement heaped upon us - at a time when the Council (like all other Councils in Jockland) are in major debt. Also, instead of taking the bus as the anti-car (Re:anti-freedom) Council frequently lecturers us to, instead they take taxi trips everywhere at the cost of thousands of pounds, funded by the residents of Edinburgh. Additionally there was an interesting story a few months back about the Canteen at Coonsil HQ... instead of paying for their food they (Councillors/employees) operated an "honesty box" system of donating money. Of course, nobody payed anything. Do as I say, not as I do. Oink Oink!

Anyway, sorry for drifting the thread, back to the fuel. How could we protest? The problem is that if commercial operators were to join in any protest it would most likely backfire because AVTUR is untaxed... potential major publicity boo-boo which could make things worse.

Smithy