PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Knowing what you know now about this game, wud you have done it all in the 1st plce?
Old 19th May 2008, 21:58
G SXTY

Supercharged PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think there is a positive bias on Pprune, certainly not on this forum. If it's biased at all, it leans toward the negative. Why? Because the vast majority of ex-wannabes who now fly airliners don't touch this forum with a bargepole. They used it for advice and support when they were training and job hunting, now they have jobs, they've moved on. To put it bluntly, they're not wannabes anymore and they have no interest in posting here. Ergo, you'll find relatively few people saying; "come on in, the waters lovely." By contrast, you'll find lots who dream of being a pilot and have yet to start, others in the various stages of training, and of course those who have qualified but have yet to find a job.

Yes, when I got a job I posted about it on here - but no-one else on my type rating course did. So that's 12 other success stories you won't hear about.

Treeshaver, I feel for you mate. In terms of finding a job, I'm at the other end of the lucky scale - I finished my IR, sent off less than 10 applications, had interviews with 2 airlines and got the job I dreamed of. All in the space of 3 months - I know I've been very fortunate.

On the other hand, it took 7 years of my life to get from trial lesson to the IR. It cost me £45k. I left my job to train full time, my marriage broke up - partly because of the stresses and strains imposed by commercial flying training. Out of money, I was forced to go back cap in hand to my old company, and spent another 2 years in a job and a lifestyle I hated, cursing the fact I wasn't flying. It was the worst two years of my life, and I was stressed to the point that my health was starting to suffer.

Then last year, with less than 12 months to run on my ATPL credits, it was 'now or never'. I bit the bullet, jacked in my job - again - and threw myself into commercial training. It worked out, and I got a job very quickly. The point I'm making is that I had to go through a world of grief to get to this stage. It's been a very costly journey, financially and emotionally. I know others who've had it much worse.

This aint an easy game. We know the risks when we start off, there are no guarantees at the end of it. Some people fall on their feet and get lucky, inevitably some people are unlucky and/or struggle. But if there's one thing I've learned in the time I've been flying, it's that the truly determined ones always get there in the end. I could have walked away from this on several occasions (and I very nearly did). It was only a stubborn pig-headed refusal to give up that got me through.

So to answer your question, yes - I'd do it again in a heartbeat - in fact I wish I'd done it 10 years ago. But by God it's been tough.