PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Armed Forces Benefits Calc
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2008, 08:00
Biggus

Received 62 Likes on 29 Posts
Al R,

Not sure what your point is....

First of all I think MOD pays more in pensions than it does in salaries. People are living longer, we have for example 40,000ish in the RAF today, how many have retired in the last 40 odd years that are drawing a pension....??

As for MPs, my point is that an MP benefit calculator would no doubt come out with a sum of approx £250,000.....

£65,000 ish basic salary
£120,000 ish allowances
Best pension scheme in country. 1/40th of final salary for every year served (compare to 1/70th in current AFPS05). Qualify for pension after 5-6 years as an MP (can't remember the exact figure, but know you have to be elected twice, i.e in and then re-elected, to qualify.

What price the following 'perk'? Use tax payers money to fund most/all of mortgage for flat in London when working at Westminister as opposed to constituency. Serve as MP for 4/8/12/16.... years. On finally retiring/losing seat, sell London flat, which has no doubt, given London prices, gone up considerably in valuable. Pocket all the profit, funded by taxpayers money, with big grin on your face....

Alternatively, rent out flat and keep as cash generating asset appreciating in value!!